Saturday, September 6, 2014

Basement Resurrection

Whoa! I just turned 40 and I'm going to try to revive the blog. A lot has happened.
I now work at a private Christian school in Harrisburg, PA and I've helped them put together a weight room. This has allowed me to run 3 trimesters of a "Resistance Training" elective for students in 7th through 12th grades (highlights include a 75lb. 7th grade girl deadlifting 110lbs.). I usually get one workout a week up at the school so I can keep the weight room open for students.

In addition, I'm trying to get one workout a week with my friend Bob from the local best-kept-secret basement-to-yard training facility The Bonney Lane Club (see: Mental Reps). And, of course, one workout a week in my own well-equipped basement.

In future posts I'll be bringing you update on my favorite routines lately, from 5/3/1, the Cube Method and Dave Tate's 6 Week Bench Press Cure. I'll also share a few of my favorite podcast suggestions.

As a teacher, adjusting from my summer routine to my school year routine is always a trial and error.
Saturdays need to be a longer workout with a Squat/Bench emphasis and some sort of upper body pulling. But, I'm also laying off my normal heavy chins and rows because of some tendonitis. And, I'm backing off carbs a bit as of lately.

Current stats: 6'2" about 188#
Today's Workout Locale: My Basement
Today's highlight: Frontsquat 5 x 2 with 85% of conservative 1RM 225, so 5 x 2 with 193 (I have 44# bumper plates).

No comments:

Post a Comment